Bookcrossing

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Ipswich March Meet

Another morning of book chat at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone, nice to see everyone, as haven't been to one in a while.

I had another clearout of children's books, so took a few along. A selection of Noel Streatfeild's: White Boots, The Circus is Coming , Gemma (diff cover) and Apple Bough (Puffin Books). Some animal-themed: The running foxes , The Secret of Hunter's Keep (House of Secrets) and The Silver Tide (Woodstock Saga).

I realised on arriving at home that I had already read Coastliners, which I picked up at The Big Swap. I also took along The Viceroy's Daughters: The Lives of the Curzon Sisters (Women in History) , a biography of the well-connected sisters.
2 others were snaffled at the meet: Mouse or Rat: Translation as Negotiation taken by our resident grammar boff Semioticghost, Maya by turquoisefloyd and a 3rd book, Annie John, which I left a while back, was taken by Pakasanelly for her speed reading.

I picked up Innocent Traitor , a book which I have been looking out for, though 3 of the group had read it for a splinter bookgroup, and none enjoyed it. Will give it a quick try to see. I would be disappointed if it were rubbish as I have read her non-fiction, which is of a high standard.
Also took Bill Bryson's Notes from a Big Country , recommended by two of the crew. Have already read 3 of his, and have been on the look out for this one. I also saw a book I have read before, but am taking it for a friend, Nanjing 1937: A Love Story .

Lots of good chat, including comparing notes on Glasgow with Pakasanelly, same uni! We have both read and enjoyed Atkinson's Emotionally Weird , as we were familiar with the setting. marmite has also read a few of her books. rainbow1054 took away A Spot of Bother, quite a few members of the group had read it. I enjoyed it a lot, recognising many people in the book. It is very different to A Curious Incident ..., but no worse for it.

Somehow the discussion turned to ways of boosting your energy at work, KenseyRiver recommended copy toner, apparently one of the costliest substances on Earth by the mg. Semioticghost replied that a nice handful of markers did the trick! MrsDanvers brought us up to death on the new workplace manslaughter rules and helped me persuade KenseyRiver to take away the Wasp Factory, a great, if not disturbing, book.

samwiseuk was the only bloke there this month, but was right to point out he was no token male! He has chosen next month's read for the splinter bookgroup - Northanger Abbey.

Bathippo was unable to attend, but sent a text. Last but not least, there was bertietheBCbear, who picked up a suitably mini book, The Life and Times of Einstein .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home