Bookcrossing

Sunday, October 02, 2011

11 in 11 Step Challenge: Final Quarter

The final quarter of my 11 in 11 Step Challenge brought a few surprises, I was at home, so ended up reading completely different books to what I had expected.  Reading a lot of long-term TBR books, I found some gems, but a few were mediocre. 

The top books would be, unsurprisingly, the two 1001 books, Choke and So Long a Letter.  The former about a sex addict and mental health was amusing and I read it rather quickly, the latter was a short, but interesting book, Mariama Ba had a great writing style, with her work offering insight into Senegalese culture.  Basta de Historias, a journalist journey around the world trying to find out why some countries out do others in education, looking at politics, culture and education systems.  As a teacher, I found it very thought-provoking.  I also thoroughly enjoyed The Gunpowder Gardens, a travalogue following tea through China and India., while the book was written 20 years ago, it was still worth a read.  Reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard was great fun, especially as I'd just seen the final Harry Potter film.

The two most disappointing books were Shanghai Baby and  Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence, the former because it just dragged and didn't ring true, the latter because I wanted to know more, this book is too short and leaves you with more questions than answers.

11x 1001 Books

10. Choke

11. So Long a Letter


10x Crime


Already Completed
9x Films



Books adapted for the big screen, small screen and stage.

7. Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence
8. The Tales of Beedle the Bard
9. Into the Wild
8x Spanish


From Spanish speaking world or in Spanish

7. Walking the Lions
8. Basta de Historias
7x British
Already Completed
6x Asian Books



I usually read a lot of books set in Asia or by Asian writers, hopefully some from my huge TBR pile.
4. Shanghai Baby
5.Chang
6.The Gunpowder Gardens
 

3x French
Already Completed

2x Short Stories

Already Completed

1x Tome
A big, fat, scary book.


1.  The Famished Road

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home