Bookcrossing

Monday, September 12, 2011

11 in 11 Step Challenge 3/4 Done

The third quarter for my 11 in 11 Step Challenge has gone quickly as I am on holiday.  I cracked on with my 52x 1001 books in 2011, nearly completing the category.  I had a wee bit of a reshuffle after my Mum brought out another stack of books to Spain, and as I'm going back home for a few days, there will be more changes to come.  This will help with tackling my TBR pile.

Top 1001 books include The Rainbow, following three generations of the Brangwen family from Nottinghamshire, their lives and loves, moving from the 1840s into the 20th Century.  I have managed to get a copy of Women in Love through Bookmooch which continues the story.  I think my favourite, though, was Unless, which just blew me away.  I would also recommend One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich and the very funny The Good Soldier Schweik.

As for the rest, I read the thriller The Righteous Men, which was a thriller in the vein of The Da Vinci Code, though more readable.  The Little Stranger was up to Sarah Waters' high standards.  Bitter Grounds was a good read, one of a stack of Latin American books my brother has passed on to me since moving over there for work.  The history of El Salvador came alive with the story of three generations of women.  I also got some long term TBR books off my conscience, the best being Year of Wonders, about the Black Death, and Brazzaville Beach.

As for the other end of the scale, I found On the Road very disappointing, it just didn't live up to the hype for me.


11x 1001 Books


6. Billiards at Half-Past Nine
7. Unless
8. On the Road
9. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich



10x Crime COMPLETE


Crime, mystery, thriller
This has been bumped up due to Mum bringing me a stack of mysteries, and I've done some reshuffling of books.

1. The Trial **1001 Book
2. The Ministry of Fear
3. The Winter Ghosts
4. The Ghost
5. Restless
6. Bangkok 8
7. The Righteous Men
8. Thirty three Teeth
9. Disco for the Departed
10. The Little Stranger


9x Films



Books adapted for the big screen, small screen and stage.
3. The House of Sand and Fog
4. The Rainbow ** 1001 book
5. Timeline
6. The Good Soldier Schweik ** 1001 book

8x British

Books from the British Isles.
5. The Flood
6. The Swimming Pool Library ** 1001 book
7. Brazzaville Beach

7x Spanish


From Spanish speaking world or in Spanish

2. Muerte de Tinta
3. Journey to the Alcarria **1001 Book
4. Bitter Grounds
5. The FARC ** Early Reviewer Programme
6. Still Love in Strange Places

6x Asian Books



None in this quarter

5x Food 'n' Drink


None in this quarter.

3x French

French Books
COMPLETED

2x Short Stories


COMPLETED
1x Tome
A big, fat, scary book.


Still unread.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home