Bookcrossing

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Library ban

I took Journey to the Alcarria out of the local library, and I thought I should read it quickly so I can hand my books back in on Monday or Tuesday. I got a dressing down on Friday, I went to hand back an overdue book (I had tried to renew it when I was on holiday, not realising you could only renew books once), and because of work, it was 10 days late. I asked the lady what my fine would be, she glared at me in a way that I haven't seen since I left school, as if I had not only scribbled over the book and dropped it in the bath (not that I have ever done that - OK, I have dropped a couple of books in the bath, sorry! - I meant she looked at me with a disparaging and disappointed look) and informed me that I was "to be suspended from all library activity until the 21st of August." She said this so sternly, that I squirmed ever so slightly, giving her my excuse in Spanish and she all but tutted at me. What was worse (and funnier in hindsight) was that there was a lady behind me in the queue looking on and I knew that I was being observed by most people there - a blonde girl in my local library is rather an unusual occurance. So, better finish my other book - The Flood - and get it back on time. I hate to think what they do to repeat offenders!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home