Bookcrossing

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Final Stop - Washington DC

The final place on my Americas Trip was DC, spending time with my family, heading to museums, drinking coffee and reading books. I didn't really do much reading in Panama, hot and humid weather doesn't really make you want to do anything.
I finally finished The Idiot, a good read, but it was dense. Next up was Bamboo Palace, all about Lao and the final days of the monarchy. I left them in one of the many Starbucks. Unfortunately, I left them after finishing them at the cafe, sitting next to the coffee counter, which meant I smelled like coffee for the next 3 days!
I lifted The Good Earth from the truck in Patagonia, a book I had been wanting to read for ages. It follows a peasant farmer's journey through life, from finding a wife, to moving up the line, at a time when China was changing rapidly.
I managed to finish Bleak House, a really tough one, I just didn't connect with it.
I had picked up Son of a Witch in Paraguay and decided to got to Barnes and Noble to pick up Wicked, the first in the series. A very strange series it is indeed, they even had a third book, A Lion among Men. Like most people, I have seen the film, The Wizard of Oz, but know nothing about the Oz series, I didn't even know that there was a series of Oz books. It is refreshing to see the story from the other side, the Wicked Witch of the East becoming the woman we saw cackling and melting. There is a fourth volume coming out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home