Bookcrossing

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Facing It: Valerie Angel

I was given this by a work colleague to read, it was written by his step mother. I was a bit nervous about reading it, what would I say if I didn't like it? Well, luckily that fear was unfounded.

Facing it is a book which is my cup of tea. A book about travel, harsh conditions and the human condition.

A round the world boat trip for people with different reasons for getting away. A girl who was trafficked into the U.K., a woman fresh out of rehab, as well as young people getting over face transplants after a suffering an unknown disease. The captain and his first mate are the 2 "healthy" ones trying to keep the crew going, to keep up group spirit under occasionally harsh conditions.
I did enjoy this book, the style is a wee bit choppy, more of a radio play at times, but the plot is very different and well executed, if at times a little bit far-fetched. Human relationships are involved, as well as looking at the idea that just because someone has a new face, doesn't mean their personality has changed.
Always good to read a book partially set in a place you know, my sister used to live near Southend, where the captain is from.

For more information, check out her website: www.valangel.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home