Bookcrossing

Sunday, September 20, 2009

999 Challenge - Finished!



I finished the 999 Challenge yesterday with O Velho que esperava por D. Sebastiao, a collection of short stories I picked up at the book fair in Coimbra (a snip at 2 Euros). It was nice to finish with a Portuguese book, as I am living in Portugal just now. Although I only had 9 books in my 1001 Book group, I was pleased to read many more and was able to slot them into other categories. I have now read over 50 1001 Books this year, something that was made possible with this challenge, it has been good to focus the mind. I flew through the beginning of the challenge, but slowed down when I had to wait to get books. I used Bookmooch and Bookcrossing to help complete categories, but friends and family were also great. I read 9 books for each category, but have put below the top reads for each group, though this was harder in some groups than others. You can see my challenge here: soffitta1's 999 Challenge

I look forward to 10/10/09, when I will start the 1010 Category Challenge, this time 10 books per category. Right now, I am trying to stay away from the temptation of reading the books I have earmarked for that challenge, but it's so hard! ;)

Group 1: Oceania and Islands

I chose this group as I was planning an Oceania and Islands Bookbox.


Group 2: Portugal
Books about Portugal or written by Portuguese speaking writers. I have recently moved to Portugal and feel I should get to know more about the people and culture. This has really been a fun and enlightening group, I have discovered a whole other world!


I am trying to read as many of the 1001 books as possible (from both lists), not just for the sake of it, but to expand my reading and read some of those classics I should have already read. This group was easy to complete thanks to the 1001-library.



Group 4: Children's Books

To get in touch with my inner child :)

Group 5: British Authors

I wanted to read more authors from home, including some 1001 books.

Group 6: Controversial

I found a list online of banned books and was very surprised at some of the entries.

Group 7: Travel

My favourite hobby
A great Scottish press, printing great British and international writers.

Group 9: Historical

-either non-fiction or with a historical setting.


Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Congratulations, I'm never going to get it finished, think I'll be abandoning and starting on the 1010 Challenge in October

    By Blogger katrina, at 2:05 AM  

  • Congratulations, I'm never going to get it finished, think I'll be abandoning and starting on the 1010 Challenge in October

    By Blogger katrina, at 2:05 AM  

  • Thanks! I managed to get lots read at the start off the year. I am also starting the 1010 in October, can't wait!

    By Blogger soffitta1, at 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home