Bookcrossing

Friday, December 31, 2010

11 in 11 Category Challenge - The First Quarter

The first 31 books of my 11 in 11 Category Challenge . As with last year, I am speeding through the first lot of books, this is because I am at my parents' house with a huge number of books to choose from.  From previous experience, the second half of the year is always harder as I look for books to complete categories.

Photobucket


Category 1:  Latin America



Photobucket

Category 2: 1001 Books




Category 3: History  (PhotobucketFiction and Non-Fiction)

3. Ivanhoe



PhotobucketCategory 5: Asia
2. The Inheritance of Loss ** 1001 Book




Photobucket

Category 7: German Speaking World
1. Dragon Rider
2. Candide *1001 Book, main character from Westfalen.






Category 8: Film & Adaptations
Photobucket
1. The French Lieutentant's Woman ** 1001 Book
2. Bleak House ** 1001 Book
3. Wicked
4. Crash ** 1001 Book
5. The Notebook
6. A Christmas Carol and other Christmas Stories ** 1001 Book
7. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland **1001 Book
8. The Time Machine **1001 Book


PhotobucketCategory 9: Links
 
1. Son of a Witch part of Wicked series
2. A Lion among Men part of Wicked series



Photobucket 

Category 10: Travel
1. Three moons in Vietnam






PhotobucketCategory 11: British Authors




Some of the books may end up in different categories, especially as I am trying to read as many 1001 books as possible this year (15 read so far).  I am also trying to read books I already own, I have a veritable Andean mountain of books to read in my room.  Some have been there for years, not because I don't want to reason, but because, for some reason or another, I keep overlooking them.  One such book was Schooling, as well as  Louis de Bernières' Latin American Trilogy.

Top reads so far include:
French Lieutenant's woman, I just couldn't put this one down.
I also really liked The Help, a look at life in America's South as the Civil Rights Movement hots up.
The Good Earth, a book that had been on my wishlist, didn't disappoint.
Cold Comfort Farm was hilarious, I can't believe that I had never come across it before.
Pereira Maintains , interestingly I have read another translation of this book, but it was before I lived in Portugal, so this one struck me more.  Through meeting a young dissident, Pereira decides to challenge Salazar's regime.

Duffers - 
Bleak House, I found this hard to get into and to get through. I was also disappointed by Malinche, which was not up to the standard of Laura Esquivel's 1001 Book, Like Water for Chocolate .

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home