Bookcrossing

Monday, February 21, 2011

1001-Library Books

 In a bid to get some of the 1001 books that I donated to the 1001-library  moving, I decided to organise two bookboxes for British readers.  The first was postal bookbox, the second a virtual bookbox.  Both started with 15 books and the idea was that people could choose what they want and then pass it on.  I must admit, I also like to pass on books I have enjoyed to a good home.  I look forward to seeing what others feel about these books.

This started with 16 books - 
1. Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco's great book.  I read this a few years ago, tough going at time because of all the references, but worth it.
2. A Kestral for a Knave (Kes)  - better known as Kes, the name of the film.  A snapshot of English life, one that, despite the age of book, is easily understood.  
3. Brideshead Revisited  - another book I came to after seeing the adaptation (ITV), the decline of a British Catholic family.
4. The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries) great to see a mystery on the list.  Having lived across from a cathedral, I enjoyed this very much.  The bells, the bells
5. Sputnik Sweetheart this arrived in one of my bookboxes, I read it a while back, another good book from a great writer.
6.Sons and Lovers  - a freebie from The Times.  I was quickly drawn into the plot, very descriptive.
 - I read this about 5 years ago, having been given it by a friend and found it was on the list.  Twins separated by war, and their meeting, not one of the heavier reads on the list.
 - I loved this when I read it first as a child.  For me, one of the great children's classics that can also be enjoyed by adults. 
9.North and South and 10. Cranford   - 2 Gaskell books I put in the box.  I read both while travelling last year and really liked the way Gaskell comments on the life at the time, England on the cusp of great change. 
11. The Secret History - one of my favourites on the list.  I read this at uni, starting in the afternoon, and finishing at dawn.  Excellently written, the dark side of youth. 
 - this has to be one of my favourite books.  I reach for it to reread because I love its darkness, the human relationships.   
13. Schooling   - I had this on my shelf for ages, but now I don't know why I never picked it up.  As with other books on the list, this deals with the dark side of adolescence, in this case a girl at boarding school in England.
14. Fugitive Pieces  - another of my top recommendations from the list.  Again, I read this book in a day, mainly because I became very affected by the story.  Brilliant.
15. - The Unconsoled  - written by one of my other favourite authors, but very different to his other work.  Takes longer to get into, but good.
16. Birdsong  - the horrors of the trenches, told in a, at times, terribly descriptive style.


And the second was a VBB, so people could choose only what they wanted without paying loads of postage.  It started with 10 books I had registered and 6 from blackwidow1971 .
My books:
1.Alias Grace  - Atwoods tale of a murderous maid
2. The White Tiger   - a letter from an Indian businessman to the Chinese Premier
3. Of  Love and Shadows   - from the Chilean writer, Isabel Allende
4. Power and the Glory   - Greene takes his tales of intrigue to the New World
5. Tarka the Otter (Puffin Story Books) - another classic children's book.
6. The Kingdom of the World   - the Caribbean in turmoil, revolution in the air.
7. Pereira Maintains   - life under Salazar, an editor starts to question his life and what is happening around him.
8. Small Island   - West Indian immigrants in Post War London, trying to make a new life for themselves.
9. The Hound of the Baskervilles   - Conan Doyle's classic whodunnit.
 10. Sexing the Cherry - my first Winterston book, but certainly won't be my last.  Very thin book, but powerfully written.

5. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
6. Three Lives (Twentieth Century Classics)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home