Bookcrossing

Sunday, February 20, 2011

11 in 11 Challenge - 2nd Quarter

62 books now read for the 11 in 11 Category Challenge . I am doing better than I expected, as I have recently moved house and had to leave most of my books in the U.K.  On Friday, I joined the local library in Avila, opposite the cathedral.  They have a small selection of English books (some of which are on my TBR shelf at home), an even smaller one in German, but a good selection of fiction in Spanish.  This will help me actually read more in Spanish, which is easy to put off at home when you have lots of books in English!
 
I have tinkered a bit with my categories.  As I am trying to read as many books as possible from my almost out of control TBR pile, I have decided to ditch the Olympic Challenge Category as I had nothing at home for it.  I have changed it to Books in a Series, this was partially because I got The Somme Stations from the  Early Reviewer Programme from LibraryThing, and I already had the first 4 books on my shelves.  I managed to get 5 and 6 from Amazon and Greenmetropolis.  This means that I have juggled a couple of the books, something I might do again later.  Below are the second set of 31 books, and, in italics, the books I have moved into new categories.



Photobucket


Category 1:  Latin America



Photobucket

Category 2: 1001 Books




Category 3: History  (PhotobucketFiction and Non-Fiction)


Category 4: Books in a Series
A change of category, from Olympic Challenge to Books in a Series.


1. Wicked (moved from Films)
2. Son of a Witch part of Wicked series (moved from Links)
3. A Lion among Men part of Wicked series
(moved from Links)
4. The Necropolis Railway
5. The Blackpool Highflyer - part of the Jim Stringer Series starting with The Necropolis Railway

PhotobucketCategory 5: Asia


Category 6: Not in English

1. Golem: An Old Prague Tale in German

2. La Ciudad de las Bestias in Spanish
Photobucket

Category 7: German Speaking World
 3. Kleiner Werwolf (in Spanish)






Category 8: Film and Adaptations
Photobucket

8. The Day of the Triffids **1001 Book
9. The Big Sleep ** 1001 Book
10. The Graduate ** 1001 Book
 


PhotobucketCategory 9: Links
 



Photobucket 

Category 10: Travel

2. Ghosts of Spain








PhotobucketCategory 11: British Authors

One thing I really like about this challenge is the variety of books you read, it forces you out of your comfort zone and it is such fun finding books to slot in.  I am enjoying the Links Category immensely because this fits my personality.  When I find a subject or author I like, I tend to go on a reading binge.  

Top books for the second quarter:
Well, The North China Lover, was a great read.  Dumas' The Lover blew me away when I read it a few years ago, so I had to see how this differed.  It certainly measured up to the first book, but very different.  
I also enjoyed Day of the Triffids, I am no sci-fi fan normally, but in a world of GM products and experimentation, it was a scarily realistic possible vision of the future.
Another good Bill Bryson in Shakespeare: The World as a Stage, more a biography of what we don't know that what we know!
The Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Clay was unputdownable, I just caught up in the very different cousins and their lives.
I would say, however, the book that affected me most was The Story of Lucy Gault, I was very moved by Lucy's tragic story, so sympathetically written.
Also tragic, but actually uplifting book was The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, this is a book that will stay with me.
Ghosts of Spain was also excellent, for a guide to modern Spain, this is a good start.  It talks about the ghosts and events that have shaped Spain, but what makes it good is that it is written by a foreigner who obviously loves Spain.

Disappointments:
The Understudy  What a pity, I loved Starter for 10!   Not a dreadful book, but not up to his usual standard.
Sundays at Tiffany's.  Oh Mr. Patterson, please stick to your mysteries!

As for the next quarter, I am sat on the sofa with a stack of books.  Shall I head to Nepal with Samrat Umadhay's short stories, or to Flanders with the swashbuckling Captain Altriste, or mourn the loss of Aunt Guadalupe in Mexico?  Better put the coffee pot on and choose ;)


Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home