Bookcrossing

Monday, March 07, 2011

World Book Night - the list

World Book Night offered 25 different books, a good mix, with something for everyone.  I have read quite a few, but am taking up new Bookcrosser  LucyInTaunton's challenge to read the rest of the list by next year's World Book Night.  I have even already signed up for next year, as I think it is a great cause, and because of the bemused, but happy, look on the faces of those I gave books to.

 this is on my TBR pile, I have crammed it into my suitcase and brought it back to Spain to read.

2. A Life Like Other People’s

 I know nothing about this and will have to find myself a copy.  Last year I read his book, The Uncommon Reader, which I thought was brilliant.

  

3. Agent Zigzag

  I am curious about this one, but have never read it.

4. All Quiet on the Western Front


 This was the book I gave away, a classic book about young boys sent to die in a pointless war.  Unfortunately still relevant today.

 5. Beloved

  I must admit that I didn't enjoy this, I found it tough to get into, and in the end felt it missed the mark.

 

6. Case Histories

  My second choice to give away.  I really like Atkinson's style, this is a quirky mystery.

 

7. Cloud Atlas

  I really liked reading this, some people found some of the interconnecting stories less enjoyable, but not me.  It was what made it different, the different settings took the book to a new level.

 8. Dissolution

 I haven't read this, but Mum is a big fan.  I will steal her copy ;)

 

9. Fingersmith


 One of the best books on the list and one of my favourite books.  A well-written mystery with lots of twists and turns and emotions.

 

10. Half of a Yellow Sun


 On my pile at home to read.

 

11. Killing Floor

  I think of all the books, this looks least like my cup of tea.

 

12. Life of Pi



  Brilliant prize-winning book.

 

13. Love in the Time of Cholera

Not his best book, I found it rather rambling.  I much preferred 100 Years of Solitude.

14. New Selected Poems

I don't often read poetry, but I did enjoy studying his poems at school, one of the few poets I did like.  I will look this one out.

 

15. Northern Lights

  Excellent opening to a great series.  For YA or adults.

 

16. One Day

  I read this recently, it is about a couple meant to be, but with bad timing.  Well-written, good for commuting, a weightier piece of holiday fiction.

 

17. Rachel’s Holiday

 I read this at school, and was quickly drawn in by the plot.  Told through the eyes of Rachel, slowly she pieces her life together and sees how she has affected those around her.  Very good.

 

 18.  Stuart

 I am not usually one for this kind of book, but if I find a copy, I'll give it a go.

 

 

19. The Blind Assassin

  This was my first Atwood, very well told, this inspired me to find more of her work,  though I must say I think my favourite is The Handmaid's Tale.

 

20. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

  A quirky book, with an unusual narrator.

 

21.The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

 I read this last year, a short read, but very interesting.  The effect of a teacher on "her girls".

 

 

22. The Reluctant Fundamentalist

 I already had this on my TBR pile, and have brought it back to Spain to read.  Also a 1001 Book.

 

 23.The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

 There is a copy of this at work, so will check it out.

 

 24. The World’s Wife

  I haven't heard of this one, or even the writer.  Must investigate.

 

 25.Toast

I was given a copy of this by a fellow WBN giver, my Dad snaffled it, but I hope to get it back to read before passing it on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home