Bookcrossing

Monday, April 25, 2011

Reading in Semana Santa

Ah, Easter break, 10 days off from the school.  I did a bit of travelling, lots of sleeping and managed to squeeze in some reading ;)  I tried to tackle some of those books that had been hanging around for a while.   A mixed bag, but good on the whole, I have managed to slot them all into my 11 in 11 Category Challenge.

First up was Under the Net, which I had had on my shelf for a while.  An intricate, incestuous web, on which the narrator fumbles his way, cadging lodging and money off friends. A frustrated writer and translator of French novels, Jake Donaghue hopes he will one day make it big, though his only literary attempt sank without a trace and cost him a friendship. My first Iris Murdoch, and it certainly won't be my last.  At the moment it is sitting on my read shelf (still woefully emptier than my TBR shelf), and I'll see if a friend wants it.  If not, I'll donate it to the 1001 Library.

I took the impetous of a Librarything readalong for my next two, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and its sequel, The Restaurant at the End of the World.  I enjoyed both,  I'm not entirely sure why I hadn't read them before, although I reckon it was the sci-fi aspect that put me off.  I found the black, British humour very funny, and was surprised to see how far Adam's creation had entered popular culture.

In Valencia, I picked up An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England just for the title! A mystery, a 28-year-old New Englander gets out of prison after serving 10 years for burning down Emily Dickinson's house, but the arrival of man looking for revenge makes him realise that he will never quite escape his dark past.  I left this at the OBCZ in Cafe Rialto, Valencia, where I enjoyed a great Menu of the Day in gorgeous surroundings.

As I was going to go on a train journey up to Zaragoza, The Great Railway Bazaar was an obvious tie-in choice.  Theroux's journey from London to Japan and back by train, biting at times, amusing. 

In Valencia I picked up El Emperador in a double book.  It is a collection of short stories, most with a twist. I recognised a couple, which makes me think I have read before in English or German.  I tried getting into El Negociador, but found it too dated.  I left this in the hostel in Zaragoza.

I have been having a bit of a Jane Austen fest this year, reading lots of related books.  Jane Austen - A Life is a well researched look at the author's life, from her family roots, through her books to her legacy. Thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I am currently enjoying BBC 4 Extra's replaying of Sense and Sensibility.  I left it in the hostel in Zaragoza.

I picked up Lost Innocence at the hostel in Zaragoza, trashy, but interesting enough to hold my attention.  I am now over halfway through Vanity Fair, I got stuck into it last night, really enjoying it. I just needed time away from thinner books to get stuck into it.  The Pillars of the Earth was a great find in the hostel in Valencia, I can't wait to get stuck into it.  I also got a Bookcrossing book in Zaragoza at the hostel, Dinner for Two. (flame), which I have seen about, but never read.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home