Bookcrossing

Friday, June 17, 2011

11 in 11 Category Challenge: 7 German Speaking World COMPLETED

Category 7: German Speaking World


In the 999 Challenge, I looked at the Portuguese Speaking World, in the 1010 Challenge I concentrated on the Spanish, so this time the German is up.

1. Dragon Rider
2. Candide *1001 Book, main character from Westfalen.
3. Kleiner Werwolf (in Spanish)
4. Golem: An Old Prague Tale in German
5. The Pigeon ** 1001 Book
6. Effi Briest **1001 Book
7. West of the Wall
8. Corazon de Tinta in Spanish
9. The Rings of Saturn ** 1001 Book
10. All Quiet on the Western Front ** 1001 Book
11. Sangre de Tinta in Spanish

A bit of a random selection, rather surprisingly, three of my German books were in Spanish! Four entries from the German writer Cornelia Funke, I had read Inkheart in English a few years ago, but was waiting to get hold of the the third of the trilogy. When I found them in my local library in Spanish, I thought it was a sign! I love her books, I'm only sorry that it has taken me so long to read them, where was she when I was growing up?! I am off to get Inkdeath from the library to complete the trilogy. Five 1001 books, one a reread, but all strong books. Very different, from the funny Candide, to the impending downfall of Effi Briest, from the day in the life story in The Pigeon to a travelogue, The Rings of Saturn. And last, but not least, a reread of a great book, All Quiet on the Western Front, which affected me just as much as it did the first time I read it.

West of the Wall was a clunker, a great idea of a book ruined by a plot twist. This is on the list of books I'd love to rewrite.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home