Bookcrossing

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I was galvanised into reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I saw it suggested as April's 1001 group read. Imagine my surprise to see, on opening the book, a note from my big brother. Apparently he gave this to me for Christmas many years ago, though I suspect it was one of those presents brothers give which they really want themselves. I guess the fact the book belongs to the sci-fi genre is what put me off reading it for so long, but recently I've been branching out more.
Arthur Dent is not having a good day, the council have decided to knock down his house to make way for a bypass. In a display of cosmic coincidence, the Earth is also destroyed for a hyperspace bypass, but he is saved by Ford Prefect, a writer for the best-selling “Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy”, who has been marooned on Earth for 15 years. Arthur and Ford manage to get off Earth in time, hitch-hiking. What follows is their journey in space, getting picked up by the President of the Galaxy, Zaphod Beedlebum and his companion, Trillion, being pursued by those wanting to know a particular question.
I found myself chuckling out loud whilst reading, the humour is very British, very dry and sarcastic. I also hadn't realised how far the series had penetrated popular culture, for example, there is Marvin, the Paranoid Android and Babel Fish, an ear implant translator.
It is not a stand alone book, but luckily I had book 2 waiting for me. While it is not all my cup of tea, I did find it fast paced. ( )

In The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy), book 2 of the series, Arthur, Ford, Zaphon and Trillian are on their way to eat at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe (time not space). I particularly enjoyed Arthur explaining to a machine what a proper cup of tea was. The Restaurant is amazing, with a compère, a show, famous people, though, like Arthur, having a cow recommend to you what parts of it to eat is rather off-putting.
Problems arise with the group trying to leave the restaurant, stealing a ship, which, unbeknown to them, is to be shot into a sun as a grand finale. In this volume there is more movement in time, with Arthur having to cope with the realisation that his ancestors were not as he expected.
As with volume 1, this is funny, but as we get no neared to finding out the question to which 42 is the answer, so I'll have to get my hands of volume 3. ( )

Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitch Hiker's guide to the galaxy) , Book 3 of the series arrived a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't resist picking it up to continue reading about Arthur Dent.
As a cricket fan, I found the idea of a book based round Krikket, a planet with particularly bloodthirsty inhabitants, to amusing for words. That humans would be seen as being in bad taste while playing cricket for its similarity to the Krikket way of killing, genius.
The inhabitants of Krikket, on finding out that they are not alone in Space find the concept rather hard to cope with. Instead they decide to anhilate everyone else to go back to their lonely state. Naturally, the Universe is not happy with this and punishes them by locking them in their planet. Unfortunately one ship was out of its airspace when this owas done, so they are trying to find the key to the lock. This is where Dent and co. come in, to save the world.
Still amusing, though I am getting the feeling that the books are becoming less universal and more for hardcore fans. ( ) 

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) , number 4 in the series. Arthur finds himself back on Earth after being away for 8 years. It turns out that the Earth wasn't destroyed. Arthur gets picked up by Russell, who's driving his drugged up sister, Fenny, back to the asylum. Arthur feels a connection with her, though he is not sure why. He engineers a meeting with her to work out what it is.  Arthur is also trying to find out why the dolphins all disappeared at the same time as the Earth was due to explode.
While it was nice to see life finally going Arthur's way, I felt book 4 was weaker than the others before. ( ) 

Mostly Harmless (Hitch Hiker's guide to the galaxy) , Adam's last book in the Hitch-hiker's series. Here alternative universes collide. Ford returns to the Guide's HQ to find everything changed, Arthur is separated from Fennie and is trying to find an Earth he can live on and Trillian is living in the reality in which she didn't go with Zaphod.
Not as funny as the others, but with some good moments, like the squirrels the computer trains to be flight attendants, forcing peanuts and wet wipes on all who go past them.
It's always satisfying to finish a series, but I can't see myself getting Eoin Colfer's 6th instalment as I can't imagine a different voice narrating. Mostly Harmless is really for big Hitch-hiker's fans, but I will be looking out for the Dirk Gently books. ( ) 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home