Bookcrossing

Saturday, May 21, 2011

52x 1001 Books in 2011, 1/2 way there

Here is my second quarter of reading.  A good mix of books, from classics to modern, from humourous to deadly serious.  My favourites would have to be The Reluctant Fundamentalist, A Fine Balance and Closely Observed Trains (Abacus Books).  Three very different books, but linked by politics.  In the Forest: A Novel was also great, dark and opressive. I am pleased that I read some books which I'd had for a long time, like A Fine Balance and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  No bad books here, which is not always the case with the 1001 List.  As for the next quarter, I still have some 1001 books here in Spain, but will be adding to the pile from the 1001-Library.  I am one away from having read 300 off the combined list, just need to choose the right book to hit that milestone with.

14. The Reluctant Fundamentalist Brilliant book, why, oh why was it removed from the 2010 edition?
15. A Fine Balance I am ashamed to say I had this for 3 years before reading it, worth the wait though ;) 
16.  In the Forest: A Novel  dark story based on fact.
17. The Arabian Nights: The Marvels and Wonders of the Thousand and One Nights (Signet classics) good to get beyond the Disney versions.
18. Under the Net (Vintage Classics)  my first Iris Murdoch, and certainly not my last! 
19.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  I had been given this (apparently) for Christmas years ago by my brother, but it was rediscovered in a box of books he gave me.  Good fun, very sarcastic.
20.Vanity Fair (Penguin Popular Classics)  another scary classic read, I took it travelling and got stuck in.  I enjoyed it, though there were parts which dragged. 
21. Burmese Days a biting look at life in Burma, the British living there and prejudice.  Very good.
22. Agnes Grey read as part of a Librarything Readalong, I thought that the life of a governess was well described, with the characters being very real. 
23. Closely Observed Trains (Abacus Books) finally reading the book after seeing the film.  Life at a sleepy station under German occupation, very short, but well-deserving of its place on the list.
24. Diary of a Nobody (Penguin Classics) nice to see a funny book on the list, and what great illustrations!

25. Suite Francaise Another Librarything readalong.  The first 2 books of an anticipated cycle cut short by the author's death in Auschwitz.  The chaos of life in WW2 written at close hand.

26.The Rings of Saturn: An English Pilgrimage (Panther) My second by the author, a tramp around East Anglia, looking at life there and its connection with the wider world.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home