Bookcrossing

Friday, June 03, 2011

11 in 11 Category Challenge: 1 Latin America

Category 1: Latin America

In the 999 Challenge I had a Portuguese speaking world category and in the 1010 Challenge, a Spanish speaking one. This time I thought I would concentrate on Latin America related books as I am curretntly travelling there. As Latin America can be taken in many ways, here it will be all countries (or regions - like Quebec) in the Americas speaking a Latin language.

1. The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts
2. Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord ** 1001 Book
3. Malinche
4. The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman
5. La Ciudad de las Bestias (in Spanish)
6. El Reino del Dragon de Oro (in Spanish)
7. Relato de un Naufrago (in Spanish)
8. El Bosque de los Pigmeos (in Spanish)
9. Captain Pantoja and the Special Service
10. The Queen of the South
11. A death in the Sanchez Family

A very strong group, I cleared 9 books of Mount TBR. The list is made of two Latin American trilogies. The first by Louis de Bernieres, was very good, I enjoyed the style (magical realism) and the characters, as well as the absurdity and contradictions of life described. The second was by Chilean author, Isabel Allende, once again magical realism. Though written for YA, the stories about Kate Cold and her son, Alex, and their travels will also appeal to adults. While most of the books were indeed written in the style of magical realism, a genre which I clearly enjoy, it was interesting to read one of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books from before he had fully developed his writing in that way. I also thoroughly enjoyed Captain Pantoja, a biting satire.

As for the negatives, well, only one really, Malinche. I don't think it stood up to Laura Esquivel's other work. I also took El General en su Labirinto back to the library, I'll try reading it again when I have more time to concentrate on it. I am happy that 4 of the books were read in their original Spanish.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home